uN-ixqjeCpCVR7yuaD7Lw7nbj8w www.superwomannig.com: Health benefits of Onions

Pages

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Health benefits of Onions

I cannot imagine my life without onions, i put it in everything, noodles, eggs, stew, well nothing strange there everyone does but have you ever wondered what life would be like without onions?

Onions are used as an ingredient in various ways by people from around the world.
There are different varieties of onions, red, yellow, white, and green,( isn't there purple onion sef? or is it just me?) and each has its own unique flavor, from very strong to mildly sweet. Onions can be eaten raw, cooked, fried, dried or roasted.
Onions belong to the lily family, the same family as garlic.
Onion is effective against many bacteria but not as potent as garlic (we'll talk about garlic soon) since the sulfur compounds in onion are only about one-quarter the level found in garlic.

Onions have a variety of medicinal effects. They are stated to have been used to treat colds, coughs, and asthma, and to repel insects. In Chinese medicine, onions have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections, and breathing problems.
Onion extracts, rich in a variety of sulfides, provide some protection against tumor growth. Similarly in Greece studies have shown that a high consumption of onions, garlic and other allium herbs can be protective against stomach cancer.
Onions have a universal appeal. They are safely consumed by most people. However, consuming large quantities of onions can lead to stomach distress and gastrointestinal irritation that may result in nausea and diarrhea. Onions may be a useful herb for the prevention of cardiovascular disease, especially since they diminish the risk of blood clots. Onions also protect against stomach and other cancers, as well as protect against certain infections. Onions can improve lung function, especially in asthmatics.
How often do you eat onions? how do you eat them? let me know...

1 comment:

  1. I loooooveeee onions! I'm an onion freak. As in!!! I put onions in anything...I mean anything. Raw onions rock! So long as I'm not goin out that day or the next(bad breath wahala).
    Wait! I'm not a weirdo oh. I just love the crunchy taste. I really can't explain the feeling I get with each bite. I can slice a whole bulb of (raw)onion on my food. Noodles...spag...rice...yam...and even d soup I use 2 eat eba n stuff.Yes! Absolutely lovely.Y'all should try that, you can thank me later.Lol!
    I didn't know this tho:-'...consuming large quantities of onions can lead to stomach distress and gastrointestinal irritation that may result in nausea and diarrhea'
    Choi! Guess I need to calm down now.*sadface*
    Thanx for the info.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out time to leave a comment, xoxo