uN-ixqjeCpCVR7yuaD7Lw7nbj8w www.superwomannig.com: Becoming Claire Fredrickson Episode 7

Pages

Monday 15 October 2012

Becoming Claire Fredrickson Episode 7

It was the flash of lightening that woke me up, I didn't know where I was. Then the thunder came, it didn't scare me even though it was very loud. My consciousness welcomed it, it seemed it confirmed I was alive. It was pitch black where I was, couldn't see a thing but I knew the stench. The room smelled like I would imagine death smelt like, cold, damp, irritating in a way that you could never get used to it. I couldn't see but I knew where I was, the stench told you that. I was in the dungeon, I must have passed out because I would never willingly or unwillingly lie on that floor, but now even with such strong convictions I make no move to rise. And I think, of how I got here...

....

I cleaned Bode out with these my plans of a 'society wedding'. I even convinced him to sell the house because I wanted a fresh start (that was partially true, though the fresh start didn't include him). I told him I had found us a beautiful apartment on the Island but he was always too busy to go and see it. He didn't care though, he said he was happy if I was happy(poor soul).

I handled everything, from 'decor' to 'honeymoon plans'. I was draining Bode for every last kobo and I would deploy my secret weapon to quell any resistance from him. He was putty in my hands. It was a good time.

All the girls moved out except Sheila, I didn't tell her my plans in case she discovered her conscience and ratted me out to Bode. I liked telling her about the wedding plans though, it lent credence to my stories. Sheila had plans of moving out but she was stalling, I secretly suspect that she suspected something was up with me and she wanted to stick around and find out. I think she wanted to be around to gloat when I finally took off with Bode's money but she couldn't be so sure.

Frank handled my travel arrangements. He said I would have to go through Spain. He didn't offer an explanation why and I didn't ask for one. Spain to France, it wasn't a big deal, as long as I arrived eventually. When Frank asked how much I had, I lied. I told him I had about a quarter of what I had. Which was still a helluva lot. He asked if I wanted him to keep some of it for me, said it was dangerous to travel with such a huge amount. I disagreed, I didn't trust him and I was right not to, as I discovered eventually. Though I paid dearly for my distrust.

With the wedding just a month away Sheila finally moved out. The buyers of the house had started bothering me about when we intended to move but they let up the pressure a bit when they learnt the wedding was soon. They empathized, couldn't move out while you were planning a wedding, thats just callous. Everyone in Lagos knew about the wedding, though no one had seen the cards yet. I blamed the 'printer'. I booked everything for the wedding without paying one kobo, had all the groom's men fitted for the tuxes with no intention of paying for it, even made Sheila my maid of honour and booked us hotel rooms. I had fun playing that con, the rush was amazing but it was time to go.

The night before I left Bode i picked a fight with him, told him he was selfish and what-not and he let me plan this whole wedding all by myself. And I was overwhelmed and blah blah and I locked myself in the room so I could pack. I knew Bode, he didn't know how to deal with women trouble so I was counting on him to leave me alone to cool off. I was right, by morning he was gone. I threw my bags into the car and headed for Frank's. I wasn't even the least bit skeptical about my choices, I was happy, very happy.

.....

Lying here now I don't even know what happy is the darkness crept over me and possessed me. And I was gone again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking out time to leave a comment, xoxo